karl_lembke (karl_lembke) wrote,


This past weekend, joansteward and I went to Baycon. We decided we would ride up together, and then since I was driving north from San Jose on Monday, Joan would ride back with the Becksteads.
Of course, once Joan was back at chez Beckstead, she'd need to find a way to get to her home, so Friday morning, we drove separate cars to Newbury Park. I picked her up there, and after breakfast, we continued on to San Jose – up the 101 instead of the 5.
After a stop at Garlic World in Gilroy, we arrived in San Jose at 5 PM. We delivered lyzard13's boxes at her space in the Dealer's Room, registered for the convention, and bought our memberships at the con. Not in that order, as I recall.
After the dealer's room closed, we went for dinner. At the hotel buffet, I saw Jerry Pournelle, but didn't talk to him. He was looking extremely tired – probably a run-in with TSA during his flight in.
After dinner, I brought my box of decorations down to the party room and helped a somewhat overwhelmed glittercat13 decorate. We used some of my strings of purple Christmas (well, actually Hallowe'en) lights and two of my plasma globes. ($1.25 each from Wal-Mart, on clearance – such a deal!)
I spent a couple of hours sitting the fan table, wandered around a bit, and even attended a panel or two.
I had brought a bunch of flyers for my cookbook project, and left them on the LA Con IV table, and at the info station. (I handed one flyer to a person with a "foodie" ribbon. I wonder where those ribbons were coming from?) At the Tiki party in the Con Suite, I got into a conversation with one journalist (I have her business card in my car) and discussed my cookbook. We scheduled a formal interview the following morning.
I'm figuring that after the book is together, I'm going to send a copy to at least one food and cooking talk-show host. Because of this decision, I've added a forword intended to explain Worldcon to the mundane.
Well. After breakfast, I kissed Joan goodbye, picked up a bunch of boxes Liz wanted me to carry off (to save space in her car), and drove north.
I headed over to I5, and on up into Oregon. I arrived at my parents' place a little after 9 PM, with just enough daylight left to spot the road markers I needed.
After reading for a bit, I then undertook to catch up on sleep, and managed to recover quite a bit of the stuff.
The trip itself had relatively little drama, and the bit of drama I encountered second-hand I will probably not relate here.

  • "I Am Woman -- Protesting a Strong Woman"

    (Copied from my other blog) This came over the transom last night. After I degaussed my irony meter, I decided to share this with my loyal readers…

  • Hmmm.

    A post is up at the Usual Suspect defending Barack Obama's choice of pastor. My post: Interesting... A blogger styling himself "Instaputz"…

  • Scooter Libby

    Remember that question I posted a while back? Bob commits crime X, which has a statute of limitations of five years. Twenty years later — fifteen…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.